by Al Alvir
Things That Flag You For Being a Know-Nothing JackAss When Visiting a Boxing Club:
- You are a new or novice boxer stating that your single-minded goal is going to the Olympics.
- You start conversations and ask boxers their records, not just how many fights they may have.
- You say that you have boxing experience “from fighting in the streets.”
- You hit the bags during conversations with the coach, not just out of interest to test the stuff, but almost as if you actually think you look good doing it.
- You ‘interview’ the coach about who his favorite fighter is, as if that is a direct reflection of his coaching style.
- You say you want to be like “Mayweather.” (or any boxer)
- You ask to spar before joining the boxing club.
- You want to train in a larger facility, but you know nothing about training because you never did it or you never stuck with it for any significant amount of time.
- You are a novice boxer (or its equivalent) and you claim to not need coaching due to your experience.